Monday, June 6, 2011

Embracing the Jersey Shore


I was born and raised in New Jersey. I left for years. Went to San Francisco. Boston. Israel. Manhattan. And though I fought a lot of my Jersey roots as a kid--all the hair, the language, the guidos, the accents--I somehow returned only 10 miles from my childhood home and more, I spend summers in a place that I poked fun of as a teen, the Jersey Shore.


It's a fascinating experience living as an adult in the places that you grew up. Your perspective is entirely different. As a kid, I rejected the Jersey Shore. My friends had to drag me to the boardwalk. But then, one summer, my mother rented a house. Large front porch. Rickety floors. About five blocks from a quiet beach. And that was my first taste of how the Jersey Shore can be different than... The Jersey Shore. No Paulies. No Snookies. (Not that there's anything wrong with those folks--seriously, I love Jwoww.) But when a stereotype is broken, it can open your eyes to possibilities. 


Long Beach Island has now become my happy place. I've surfed there. I've roamed the beaches. I've sat on the docks eating fish tacos. I read a book near the sand dunes. This area of Long Beach Island is quiet. There's a few lobster shacks. An ice cream parlor. Lighthouse. Kids riding around on bikes barefoot. Do I have to wait until August to go? Here's a new article on Healthy Livin' at the Jersey Shore I wrote for Organic Authority. I was very proud of my "livin'" -- a little ode to Jon Bon Jovi. I think I also got a dusty beach road lyric in there as well. Believe it or not, there's more to the Shore than just fried pickles. People are selling TOFU MEATBALL WRAPS people! They're making their OWN GRANOLA. LOCALLY CAUGHT FISH TACOS.


It's a beautiful thing.
(Above are pictures from our trip last summer to LBI.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin