Sunday, May 22, 2011

Weekend in a Blended Family in Two Acts

ACT I: JAKE'S BASEBALL PRACTICE

Practice over. Kids hanging out near park entrance. 

C., Jake's dad (and how I'll refer to him now on), is walking out of the park.

JAKE: 
Bye, Dad!

ELKE: 
Bye, Dad!

I seem to be the only person who notices this. I shake my head in amusement. 

--------------------------------------

ACT II: OUR HOUSE AFTER DINNER, NEXT DAY

Elke walks over to pretend phone and puts it up to her ear.

ELKE: 
Hi, C.! How are you? [Baby talk baby talk.] Good,  we're going to get ice cream. [Baby talk baby talk.]

JAKE:
(To me) 
Who is she talking to?

ME:
Your dad.

Andy and I look at each other and smile. 

ELKE:
Yes, we're going to ice cream. Me, Andy and Jake.

Andy and I crack up.

JAKE: 
My dad?

ME:
Yep.

JAKE:
Why is she calling my dad?

Me:
Well, she sees you talking to him on the phone and she wants to be like you. It's how little sisters learn.

ELKE:
C.! Yes, hi. [Baby talk baby talk.] We just ate dinner! Tacos! No. Yes. Phone. [Baby talk baby talk.]

Jake laughs. I shake my head, think, man, that girl is funny.

THE END

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin