Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Our Interfaith Christmas



Once upon a time, I didn't know what to do about the fact that Jake's dad is not Jewish and me and Andy are. I didn't want to confuse Jake and though I could have easily said - hey, buddy, you celebrate that holiday with your dad and you celebrate the Jewish holidays with me, I just want to always make sure my boy feels like people are looking out for him and his needs. Of course, there's the issue of continuity. So when Jake asked me one day why we didn't have a tree - my Jewish husband and I had to make a decision. We voted for a peace tree.

Plus, I LIKE Christmas trees. They're perdy. 'nough said.

Today, I have the absolute joy of writing this sentence. My essay, "An Interfaith Christmas Tree" is running as a guest post in Lisa Belkin's New York Times blog, "Motherlode." (Yay!)

So far, I've gotten one picture from someone who decorated her Christmas tree in a dizzy of Star of David's. It's pretty awesome, and I hope she'll let me post her photo.

In the mean time, here's my interfaith tree.

Here's another tree from a writer friend, Ronda, who is in an interfaith marriage.

If you want to send me a picture of your interfaith tree - please email me at hayleykrischer@gmail.com and I'll post it here. Let's think of it as a celebration of ALL the holidays and all the joy this time of year can bring if we let it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin